|Finally, a big, bold, trendy, new, highly visible Short Vine sign|
If you live in Cincinnati, you probably know how to get to Short Vine. But imagine coming to Corryville or Clifton as a new UC student or an out-of-town visitor. You crave some entertainment or at least a better selection of food than what's available on campus. You ask a friendly stranger for guidance. "You'll find what you want on Short Vine," the stranger says. So...
- You wander up Vine St and down Jefferson.
- You get lost on Martin Luther King Dr.
- You get turned around in the hospital district.
- You gawk at the beautiful Frank Gehry architecture as you pass.
- You U-turn into UC's campus and get called out by a campus cop for trespassing or parking illegally.
- You search long and hard.
- You search north and south, east and west, and yet you never find "Short Vine."
While I won't get you all confused with explanations about how there came to be both a "Vine" and a "Short Vine," I can tell you this. After all these confusing years (I remember "Short Vine" from the early 70s when I was at UC) somebody finally had the common sense to put up som great big signs.