Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Will Cincinnati help deliver the first Madame President?



HIllary Rally Photos courtesy of Gregory Reese VIP Photography

Just in case you didn't hear the news, Hillary was in town yesterday. The crowd cheered and shouted. The enthusiasm was contagious; and yes, I was shouting along with everybody else. 

This is my blog. It's about my Cincinnati, so I won't pretend to be unbiased, fair and balanced, or impartial. I am not a Trump fan. I don't like Trump and I don't care who knows it!

As a child born and raised in the 60s and a woman, wife, and mother who dealt with the sexist norms of the 70s, I can't even handle hearing that man's voice. I'm looking forward to Hillary breaking that high glass ceiling and putting #thatguy. 

I love my city. We are Ohio. What we do is crucial to the overall outcome. I sincerely hope Cincinnati voters are up to the challenge of delivering our first "Madam President" to the White House door.


Feeling the love on the banks of the Ohio


Hillary Clinton's October 31st rally at Smale Park was a multicultural lovefest by "..this grand river..." (I forgive her generic reference to our beautiful Ohio River. I know she's been crisscrossing the USA a lot lately.) That minor faux pas and the non-Kentucky "...over-the-river..." reference didn't stop the rally from being a warm and fuzzy gathering of like-minded, non-angry voters. Soooo different from those Trump/Pence anger fests so often highlighted in the news. 

Alicia Reece, Denise Driehaus, Aftab Pureval, Ted Strickland, and other local Democratic candidates fit perfectly into the evening's multicultural theme. This beats the Angry folks doing  Trump rally duty.



Gabby tugged at the heart

If the signs and music didn't make rally-goers feel the love and excitement, Arizona Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords surely did. After a 2011 gunshot wound to the head, she made a phenomenal recovery. Residual walking and speaking difficulties are a constant reminder of that tragic event. 






Gabby's unfortunate experience turned her into a dedicated advocate for gun reform. She and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, travel the country in the "Vocal Majority" bus speaking out against gun violence. Gabby explained how she's looking forward to saying, "Madam President" next January.



Loved the signs




Political rally rules required that attendees leave their quirky signs at home. Some folks broke that rule, but it gave the event a humor boost and illustrated the diversity of the crowd. As you would expect, there were a bunch of Stronger Together signs passed out by the staff. Then there were trendy offerings like Nasty Women Vote and "love trumps hate." 

And, yes, I saw a few African Americans for Hillary signs, but I must point out the big difference between these signs and the #blacksfortrump signs photographed at Trump rallies. The A-A signs at the Cincinnati rally were actually hoisted and waved by African Americans. Imagine that!



Photos courtesy of Greg Reese, VIP
Written by Carol, The Nice Lady who reminds you to vote
...unless you plan to vote for #thatguy.

No comments:

Post a Comment